If you’re a SNAP recipient who finds it convenient to use grocery delivery services when purchasing food supplies, you may wonder whether Instacart accepts Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards.
In this post, I’ll discuss how you can use your EBT SNAP card when ordering food items online via Instacart, which is arguably the largest grocery delivery service in North America.
Let’s get started!
Yes. The grocery delivery service accepts EBT payments under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. You can use your SNAP benefits to purchase EBT-eligible items using the Instacart grocery delivery and pickup platform.
However, the SNAP program only allows EBT cardholders to purchase specific food items, such as meat, vegetables, fruits, non-alcoholic drinks, snacks, baking products, and more.
SNAP recipients can’t purchase non-food items like cosmetics and household supplies, tobacco products, and alcoholic beverages, among others. After all, the program’s primary aim is to cover basic food.
With the SNAP program, low-income families have access to grocery food items.
While Instacart takes EBT, keep in mind some limitations and requirements.
- Instacart does not accept EBT cash.
- Your card information should be current and valid.
- You need to link your EBT card to your Instacart account.
- You live in a state that participates in the SNAP Online Purchasing Pilot.
In some states, these grocery stores don’t participate in this SNAP pilot program involving Instacart.
- New York
It’s also worth mentioning that some grocery stores in participating states don’t accept EBT payments for in-person and online grocery shopping. For this reason, always ask the staff if they take this payment option before shopping.
These are the retailers that accept EBT on Instacart, according to Instacart website.
- ACME Markets
- Ahold Delhaize USA
- Bashas’, My Food City, AJ’s Fine Foods, Eddie’s Country Store
- Big Y
- Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy, Spring Market, Super 1 Foods, Fresh by Brookshire’s
- Cardenas Markets
- Co-opportunity Market
- Dave’s Markets
- Deep Roots Market
- Earth Fare
- Fairplay Foods
- Food Bazaar
- Green Star Foods
- Harps Food Store
- Homeland, United Supermarkets, CashSaver, Food-World
- Jacksons Food Stores
- Jimbo’s Naturally
- K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc.
- Little Giant Farmers Market
- McKinnon’s Supermarkets
- Niemann Foods
- PAQ, Inc.
- Piggly Wiggly
- Price Chopper Supermarkets
- Price Rite
- Roche Bros.
- Save Mart, FoodMaxx, and Lucky Supermarkets
- Shoppers Value Foods
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Stater Bros. Markets
- Strack & Van Til, Van Til’s Supermarket, Town and Country
- Superior Grocers
- Super King
- SuperLo Foods
- Tony’s Fresh Market
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wakefern Food Corporation
- Warehouse Market
- Woodman’s Market
- 3 Guys From Brooklyn
Use the latest version of the Instacart app to see which local grocery stores will accept your EBT SNAP card.
Instacart continues to expand the number of retailers and states accepting online EBT payments via its platform. Check your Instacart account from time to time.
EBT SNAP benefits cover any food mentioned below.
- Veggies and fruits
- Meat products, fish, and poultry
- Dairy products like milk and cheese
- Cereals and bread
- Snack foods
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Plants and seeds that produce food for the household
You can’t buy these common grocery items with EBT SNAP.
- Tobacco products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Vitamins, supplements, and medicines
- Live animals (except animals slaughtered prior to in-store pickup)
- Items on sale
- Pet foods
- Household supplies
- Cleaning products
You can put non-eligible products together with SNAP-eligible food items in your online shopping cart. However, you have to purchase non-EBT-eligible items with your credit or debit card if you want them delivered with your EBT order.
Click the three lines in the top corner of your screen to reveal a drop-down menu. Then, follow this step-by-step guide to link your EBT card to your account.
- Go to Account settings.
- Click Payment Methods.
- Click EBT SNAP card and select Add.
- Enter your EBT card number and other details in the appropriate field.
- Click Save.
Once you complete this process, you can begin your online shopping on Instacart.
Using your EBT card is pretty easy, much like checking out with your regular credit or debit card. Just ensure you’ve already connected your EBT to your Instacart account.
Follow these steps to purchase your items and request home delivery.
- Enter your EBT card details in the appropriate field.
- Click Edit to change the amount you want to apply to your card.
- Click the Confirm Payment Method button after you check the accuracy of your card and personal information.
- Go to the Place Order page and review your order and other information.
- Click Place Order if the information is correct.
- Enter your EBT card PIN to finalize the payment.
Sometimes, you have to remove an old EBT card from your Instacart account and replace it with a new one. Remember, SNAP EBT recipients can only use one card at any given time.
Follow this simple guide to remove or replace an old EBT card.
- Open the Instacart app.
- Click the hamburger menu in the top left corner to reveal a drop-down list where you’ll see Account.
- Select Account. (If you’re using Instacart website, click on your name in the upper right corner and tap Account.)
- You’ll see another set of menu with several options. Select Your account settings.
- Click Your payment methods.
- Click Edit. You’ll see the details of your current EBT card.
- Select the card you want to remove.
- Click Delete and Save to remove a SNAP EBT card. (In the web version, you can see dots next to the card and select Delete.)
- Add your new EBT card.
EBT cardholders receive a new card if they exit the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and come back in the future.
Another instance in which EBT SNAP recipients receive a new card if it’s lost or stolen.
Follow these tips to avoid any issues when using your EBT SNAP card on your Instacart account.
- Your card must have up-to-date and accurate information.
- Check if your state works with Instacart.
- Check if your local retailer participates in SNAP’s online purchasing program.
- Check your balance before shopping to ensure you have enough funds to complete your transaction.
- Include a valid debit or credit card because you may have to pay delivery fees.
Instacart is a grocery delivery service that employs staff to shop for you and delivers grocery items to your home. It currently partners with several big-box chains across the US.
These are the benefits of using Instacart:
- It offers same-day delivery in many US cities.
- It offers reduced service fees.
- It offers free delivery on orders amounting to over $35.
- This service is widely available in metro areas in the US.
- The service now accepts SNAP benefits.
Yes. SNAP recipients who use Instacart can now pay for online grocery orders with a valid EBT card, in full or partly, provided they are shopping at participating retailers.
A food stamp was an actual piece of paper that food assistance programs distributed to low-income households.
Nowadays, “food stamps” mean SNAP benefits in the form of EBT cards that work like your usual credit or debit card.
SNAP is the largest federal nutrition assistance program that provides benefits to eligible low-income individuals and households via electronic benefit transfer cards.
EBT benefits allow SNAP recipients to shop at participating retailers. With this electronic system, it’s easier for the government to distribute benefits and track the expenses of individuals and families.
Under federal rules, the eligibility for EBT SNAP is based on gross monthly household income, which must be at or below 130% of the poverty line.
For a family of three, the poverty line for the federal fiscal year 2023 is $1,920 a month. Consequently, 130% of the poverty line for this household is at $2,495 monthly or around $29,940 annually.
I hope my guide made it easier for you to understand how to use EBT online on Instacart. Use this method for convenience, lower fees, and free delivery.
The good thing about EBT is you can use it at many other stores. For instance, did you know that Costco takes EBT?