As technology advances, more and more people are opting for contactless payment options like Apple Pay. It’s fast, convenient, and eliminates the need for carrying cash or a card.
If you’re a fan of McDonald’s and enjoy grabbing a quick bite on the go, you may wonder: Does McDonald’s take Apple Pay?
I wrote this article to discuss whether you can use Apple Pay to purchase your meals at McDonald’s. I’ll also discuss the payment options available at this popular fast-food chain.
McDonald’s is a fast-food restaurant chain in the United States. Richard and Maurice McDonald established it as a barbeque restaurant in 1940.
In 1961, the business changed its name to McDonald’s Corporation. In 1955, the first McDonald’s location opened its doors in Des Plaines, Illinois.
The business has more than 36,000 outlets spread over 100 nations.
Apple Pay is a mobile wallet solution launched in 2014 that stores your credit and debit card information on your Apple devices, such as iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch.
It is accessible in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and China.
The only distinction between Apple Pay and Google Pay is that Apple users are the only ones who can use Apple Pay.
Anyone with an Apple device may use Apple Pay to pay quickly and securely in-person, online, or by sending money to family and friends with just one click.
Does McDonald’s accept Apple Pay in-store and online?
Yes, McDonald’s restaurants accept Apple Pay in the US, and many branches worldwide accept it as a payment method. It was one of the first companies to use the Apple Pay service.
It indicates that you can buy your McDonald’s meal with an Apple Watch, iPhone, or iPad.
McDonald’s will only take Visa debit or credit cards linked to your Apple Pay wallet when paying with Apple Pay in the United States.
You must set up Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch to use it at McDonald’s.
- Add a debit or credit card to your Apple Pay app.
- Open the Apple Pay Wallet app and select the plus (+) icon in the top right corner to add a debit card or credit card to your Apple Pay Wallet.
- Manually enter your card information or take a picture of the card you wish to activate with Apple Pay.
You can now use Apple Pay at McDonald’s.
Here’s how to use Apple Pay at McDonald’s.
- Press and hold the button two times. You often use the same button to switch on and off your phone’s screen.
- If you do everything correctly, your Apple Wallet will open instantly with an image of the debit or credit card you’ve linked to your Wallet.
- Use the credit card reader or payment terminal to complete your Apple Pay transaction.
- You must have your Apple Wallet open on your iPhone and be within a few inches of the payment terminal.
- If you do everything successfully, Apple Pay will process your payment and charge the debit or credit card you linked to it.
Here’s how you use Apple Pay on your Apple Watch inside McDonald’s.
- Double-press your watch’s side button on the right.
- Choose the card you want to use for payment.
- When you hear a bleep and feel a vibration, place your Apple Watch near the contactless payment reader. It indicates that the payment was successful.
McDonald’s accepts payments from all mobile wallets and Apple Pay at every store. The drive-thru and the restaurant counter accept payments via Apply Pay.
It’s similar to using Apple Pay in a store to using Apple Pay in a McDonald’s drive-thru.
The only significant difference between the two is whether the McDonald’s drive-thru employee will keep the payment terminal outside the window so you may place your phone over it. Or if you’ll have to give the drive-thru employee your device to make the payment.
Use your Apple Watch and Apple Pay to pay for your meal at the drive-thru by following these steps.
- Request the card reader from the cashier and let her know you’ll be using Apple Pay.
- Double-press your watch’s side button.
- Choose the card you want to use for payment.
- Keep your watch close to the contactless payment reader until you hear a beep and feel a vibration.
You’ll want to learn how to use your iPhone to pay with Apple Pay if you’re ordering from a local McDonald’s self-service Kiosk.
- Double-press the right-side button on your iPhone to open your Apple Wallet app.
- Enter your passcode or glance at your iPhone’s screen if you use Face ID. Using Touch ID, place your finger on the home sensor.
- Place your iPhone over the device that typically accepts credit cards at the Kiosk, a contactless point-of-sale reader.
- Hold it there until you hear a ping, a green checkmark appears on the payment reader, or the phrase Done appears on the screen of your iPhone.
Here’s how you can pay your orders from the McDonald’s app with your Apple Pay.
- Open the McDonald’s app, log in, and select your nearby restaurant.
- Choose your meal and place it in your cart.
- Go to your shopping cart, check your orders, and proceed to payment.
- Choose your pickup or delivery time, fill out your information, and select Apple Pay as your payment method.
- Enjoy your meal.
Here are the benefits of using Apple Pay.
When you buy something using your digital wallet, the information you transfer from your mobile wallet to the credit card terminal is not the credit or debit card information.
Instead, it’s encrypted information with a unique device account number assigned to each transaction. It is one of the many advantages of using your mobile wallet to make purchases.
Even if the retailer’s system is compromised, it won’t affect your credit or debit card information.
In today’s world, it is more necessary than ever for individuals to take all precautions possible to avoid coming into contact with anything potentially hazardous.
If you use your digital wallet, you can make contactless payments. You no longer have to touch the credit card terminal, which everyone else uses.
If you cannot make payment using the contactless payment method, you should bring travel sizes of hand sanitizer with you to keep yourself safe.
Have you ever put your credit card in a separate coat or pair of jeans and then forgot where you put it?
Have you ever needed to sift through your wallet to find your credit card, causing you to hold up the line for other customers?
Even if you can’t find your card immediately, you’ll be able to track down your phone.
Using your mobile wallet to make the payment will allow you to do it in a way that is both fast and convenient.
If you wish to pay for your order at McDonald’s with Apple Pay, but your Apple Pay isn’t responding, you will need to find out what other payment methods are available to you to pay for your item.
The following are some more options for making a payment.
- Debit card
- Credit card
- Other mobile wallets
- Gift card
Yes, McDonald’s takes Apple Pay as a form of payment inside the restaurant and through their self-service kiosks, drive-thru, and mobile app.
Yes, McDonald’s drive-thru takes Apple Pay, so you can use your Apple device to pay for your orders.
The use of Apple Pay is secure, even at McDonald’s.
You’ll want to use it wisely, but as you apply the same caution you would when using a credit card or debit card, everything should be safe.
McDonald’s takes both Google Pay and Samsung Pay in-store and at the drive-thru.
However, neither McDonald’s nor any other application accepts Samsung or Google Pay.
Additionally, McDonald’s will accept smartwatches that work with both Google Pay and Samsung Pay.
Generally speaking, there are no fees associated with using Apple Pay at McDonald’s or any other retailer or restaurant.
The only time there would be a charge is if you overspend your account with your bank. Aside from that, using Apple Pay is cost-free.
The only restrictions when using Apple Pay at McDonald’s depend on how much funds are available in the bank account linked to your Apple Wallet or limits placed by the bank.
McDonald’s accepts various payment methods, including credit cards, debit cards, and mobile payment options like Apple Pay.
Apple Pay offers a convenient and quick way to make purchases without worrying about carrying cash.
The good thing about Apple Pay is that you can use it at other establishments, not just fast-food restaurants like McDonald’s.