Shipping items can be daunting if you’re a new seller on Etsy, but it doesn’t have to be.
I can help you with your troubles.
I created this guide on how to ship on Etsy for beginners. I will discuss everything from packing the item to printing a shipping label.
After reading my guide, you’ll have all the information you need to ship your products safely and efficiently.
Table of Contents
Etsy provides services to help sellers deliver their unique products to customers safely and promptly.
The Etsy Shipping Policy outlines your shipping duties as an Etsy seller, including your legal rights and obligations when using Etsy’s shipping label services.
Here is a rundown of Etsy’s shipping policy.
Etsy sellers should adequately pack and ship goods that customers have purchased.
As an Etsy seller, you’re also responsible for ensuring your customers receive their orders, whether or not you’re working with a shipping or fulfillment service.
You must also be able to offer sufficient proof of shipping if an order doesn’t arrive.
Proof of shipping must demonstrate that the shipping company dispatched the package to the address the Etsy buyer provided.
Buyers can open a case against your store if they don’t get their order.
Shipping Labels are available for Etsy sellers in the following locations:
- United States
- United Kingdom
These sellers must also accept PayPal or Etsy Payments as payment methods.
You’re still responsible for accurate label application and fulfillment even if you use Etsy shipping labels.
Ensure you know each carrier’s additional requirements if you choose this method.
US Etsy sellers can purchase a USPS shipping return label from Etsy if they accept returns from customers and ship packages via USPS.
Shipping return labels are also available to US Etsy buyers who purchase items with registered Etsy accounts.
UPS shipping return labels are only available for packages shipped from and to addresses in the 50 U.S. states.
Consider purchasing parcel insurance to safeguard your shipments when you use Etsy shipping labels.
Canada Post can insure shipping labels you buy from the postal operator. Meanwhile, you can insure labels you buy from FedEx and USPS through Shipsurance.
You can obtain parcel compensation through Royal Mail for shipping labels you buy from them.
A package’s weight, origin, mail class, dimensions, destination, and type will affect the price of the shipping label.
Fees are added to the total cost of the label if you add insurance, signature confirmation, or Royal Mail insurance.
Customers often pay for shipping because it’s part of the product’s price. Most Etsy stores add a separate shipping fee to the cost of the item.
However, a recent update in the Etsy search algorithm gave free shipping guarantees for items that ship to the US and cost more than $35.
As a result, many Etsy stores provided free shipping for their goods. The actual item’s price would include the shipping expenses in those circumstances.
Although it may appear that the seller covers shipping costs, the Etsy customer is ultimately responsible for paying the shipping rates.
Here are some reasons why you should use Etsy shipping.
- Etsy shipping costs less than using the post office. Etsy negotiates lower shipping rates with major carriers. Therefore, the cost of using Etsy Shipping is generally lower than going to the post office yourself.
- You can track your package. Etsy provides you with a tracking number after you’ve printed your shipping label. The tracking number makes it easy to check the status of your parcel and estimate arrival time.
- You’ll have proof of shipment. Etsy tracks when you print your shipping label, which can be helpful if there are any issues with delivery or the buyer claims they never received the item.
Selecting your shipping carrier is the first step in shipping on Etsy.
Setting up delivery profiles is an excellent idea once you’ve decided on your preferred carrier or carriers for shipping with Etsy shipping labels.
You can designate these pre-set shipping options for your products so you won’t have to repeat the process.
You can also edit products in bulk and assign profiles to multiple products.
When you’re ready to start shipping your items, here’s how to set up your shipping profiles.
- Log in to your Etsy account.
- Go to the Shop Manager.
- Click Settings.
- Click Delivery settings, then Delivery profiles.
- Select Add a delivery profile.
- Add your delivery details.
- Click Save.
The next step is to add your shipping timeframes to your profile and listings.
Setting your shipping time ensures buyers know how long it would take to receive the items they purchase.
Buyers want to know when they’ll receive their orders, so it’s crucial to include shipping time in your listings.
Here’s how to add shipping timeframes to your profiles:
- Log in to your Etsy account.
- Go to the Shop Manager.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Shipping settings.
- Go to the Shipping profiles page.
- Choose an existing shipping profile you want to update or click Add profile.
- Fill out the shipping profile.
- Choose your processing time from the dropdown menu. Several options are available, from one business day to ten weeks.
- Choose the Create a profile option.
Here’s how to add your shipping timeframes to your Etsy listings.
- Go to the Shop Manager and choose Listings.
- Find an existing listing you want to edit or add a new listing.
- Locate the gear icon, then select Edit.
- Scroll down to find the Shipping section.
- Pick a shipping profile with the appropriate processing time.
- Click Publish.
Your shipping strategy is how you’ll choose to ship your items based on several factors, including:
- The type of item you’re selling
- Its size and weight
- Shipping destination
- Arrival time
- Shipping cost (international shipping applies when shipping overseas)
Free shipping is a fantastic way to entice buyers, but ensure it’s not affecting your profit margin.
Experiment with various shipping options to find what works best for you and your Etsy shop. With a little trial and error, you’ll be an Etsy shipping pro in no time!
There are a few things to remember when packaging your Etsy items.
- Ensure your items are well-protected. Use padding and cushioning materials like bubble wrap or tissue paper.
- Use durable shipping boxes or envelopes. These won’t bend or tear easily.
- Use attractive packaging. Etsy customers like items that come in beautiful or unique packaging. Doing so can encourage repeat business, so make an effort to enhance your packaging.
- Include a packing slip or invoice with each order. Doing so lets your buyer know what they’re getting and quickly contact you if there are any problems.
The last step is to create and print your shipping labels. Using Etsy labels is the simplest solution.
Shipping labels are a must for all Etsy orders, and you need to attach them to the outside of your parcel.
Sellers in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and India can use Etsy shipping labels if they accept payments through Etsy Payments or PayPal. You can pay for the labels directly on Etsy.
Your order is ready for shipping once you print the label.
Etsy shipping labels are available for the following postal services.
- Global Postal
- Canada Post
- Royal Mail
- Australia Post
Here are some reasons why you should use Etsy shipping labels.
- You can print them on your own. You can print labels without leaving your house if you have a printer.
- You’ll save money: Etsy offers discounts on shipping labels for certain services, which can save you a lot of money.
- You’ll save time. Printing your own labels means you won’t have to line up at the post office.
- You can track your shipments. Etsy shipping labels come with tracking information, allowing you to monitor packages as they make their way to their destinations.
Follow these tips to ensure smooth, fast, and safe shipping.
- Use Etsy shipping labels. They’re easy to print at home and come with tracking information.
- Print labels immediately after receiving an order. Doing so helps you ship items on time.
- Buy insurance. Shipping insurance protects your items and business in case of damage or loss.
- Pack your items properly. Use durable packaging and padding materials like bubble wrap to protect your products.
- Use attractive packaging. First impressions matter, so take the time to make your packaging look great.
You can offer free shipping on your Etsy listings. Offering free shipping is one way to promote your Etsy shop, encourage visitors to purchase items, and attract more visitors.
Etsy allows various ways to offer free shipping.
You could include the shipping cost in the item’s price or offer discounts to customers buying multiple items.
Etsy automatically applies free shipping once you set up the free shipping guarantee and US customers purchase from your store.
The free shipping guarantee applies to orders that cost $35 or more, regardless if it’s a single $35 item or multiple items that add up to $35.
The free shipping guarantee also applies to the currency you chose when you started your shop. You only have to configure it on Etsy.
The shipping costs you specify in your listings and shipping profiles won’t change for customers in other countries.
The free shipping guarantee covers domestic and international shipping orders to US customers.
The best way to ship with Etsy is to use Etsy shipping labels.
Etsy shipping labels allow you to send orders directly from your Etsy store via FedEx, USPS, or Canada Post.
If you use an Etsy shipping label for an order, the platform automatically marks it as shipped. You only need to print the label from your Etsy shop and attach it to your package.
Etsy shipping labels come with tracking information, allowing you to track packages as they make their way to their destination.
Yes, selling on Etsy is worth it.
Etsy is a marketplace where you sell to millions of potential customers.
The platform also provides a wide range of tools and resources to help you succeed.
Don’t be afraid to try selling on Etsy. You might be surprised by the results.
Yes, you can purchase shipping labels from Etsy.
You only have to print the Etsy shipping label and attach it to your parcel.
There are many advantages to offering free shipping on Etsy.
- It’s a simple yet effective way to attract buyers to your shop.
- It helps build customer loyalty.
- It can increase your visibility on Etsy search results.
You have several ways to offer free shipping.
You could include the shipping cost in the item’s price or offer discounts to customers who buy multiple items. You could also set up flat shipping rates for all orders.
You’ll want to take extra steps when shipping a fragile item to ensure it arrives safely.
- Choose a durable box and line it with cushioning material such as bubble wrap, packaging peanuts, or tissue paper.
- Label the box as “Fragile” and use big, bold letters.
- Buy insurance to cover the cost of the item and protect your business if the item arrives damaged.
I hope my guide has made it easier for you to start shipping with Etsy.
Shipping on Etsy may seem daunting initially, but it’s a breeze once you get the hang of it.
Follow the tips and strategies I outlined in this article to ensure successful shipping on Etsy.
Visit my blog for more Etsy selling strategies.