Being one of the largest online marketplaces in the world, Amazon offers a variety of products for purchase.
And at some point, you’ve probably seen the term “Renewed” on Amazon.
But do you know what does Amazon Renewed mean?
Amazon Renewed is the platform’s program where customers can find refurbished goods and pre-owned products from top brands at great prices.
In this blog post, I’ll explain what Amazon Renewed is and how it works.
I’ll also discuss the benefits of shopping at Amazon Renewed and why you should consider using it.
Keep reading to learn more!
Table of Contents
What Does It Mean By Renewed On Amazon?
You might be wondering what does “Renewed” exactly mean.
Is it new? Is it used? Is it refurbished?
The answer is actually a little bit of all three.
Amazon renewed items are either new items, pre-used items, or refurbished items that have been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to work like new.
What Is A Renewed Product?
Here’s a more detailed explanation of the three types of renewed products:
- New: New means that the product is, well, new. It’s never been used before, but it may not be in the original packaging anymore.
This often happens when a customer returns an item after opening it, which is why they are also known as ‘open-box’ items. They may not come in original packaging, but they sure work like new.
- Pre-owned: Pre-owned means that the product was sold to a customer, used, and then returned. They may have minor cosmetic defects, but they’ve been professionally inspected by Amazon to make sure they still work perfectly before being put back on the site.
- Refurbished: Refurbished items are products that have been sent back to the manufacturer to be fixed and returned to new or like-new condition. Once they’re repaired, Amazon inspect the refurbished goods to make sure they meet all the standards of a new product.
So will you find a seriously dented mug or worn out shoe in the Amazon Renewed section? Nope!
Amazon only puts products that look and work like new.
An item can only qualify if it’s in new or like-new condition, with minimal to no signs of wear.
Renewed items may be from any of these product categories:
- Tablets, computers, and laptops
- Gaming systems and supplies
- Office products
- Fitness trackers
- Home and Kitchen appliances
- Home entertainment items
- Headphones and earbuds
- Lawn and Garden equipment
Each renewed product on Amazon has a description of its condition. This description could be something like:
“This product is in new-like condition and shows little to no signs of wear. The unit has been thoroughly inspected, repaired, and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers. Original accessories may not be included.”
The description is pretty clear. You know exactly what you’re getting when you purchase a renewed product.
Here is an example of a renewed laptop and a description of its condition:
What Is The Difference Between Refurbished And Renewed Items On Amazon?
You might’ve also noticed that some items are available as “refurbished” or “renewed.” on Amazon. But do you know how are they different from each other?
Here’s a quick rundown: Refurbished items are typically returns that have been inspected, fixed, and repackaged for resale.
These are items that had some sort of problem when they were first sold, but have since been fixed and repackaged.
Renewed items, on the other hand, are simply items that have been returned and then put back on the shelf for sale. These items are usually in perfectly good condition, but they may be missing original packaging or accessories. Some could be new and others could be slightly used.
Where Can You Find Amazon Renewed Items?
You can find Amazon Renewed items by visiting the Amazon Renewed section of the website. Here’s how you can access it:
Step 1: Log on to Amazon.com and type in “Renewed” in the search bar.
Step 2: Click on the “Amazon Renewed” link that appears at the top of the list.
This will open up a new page which is the Amazon Renewed store. You’ll find a variety of product categories and subcategories you can browse through, including electronics, home, kitchen, and more.
If you know what product you want, you can also type in the name or model number in the search bar on this page.
For example, if you want to buy a renewed iPhone, you can type in “Renewed iPhone” and a list of available Apple products will appear.
How To Join The Amazon Renewed Program
Now that you know a little more about the Amazon Renewed program, you might be wondering how you can join. Here is the application process:
First Step: Become An Amazon Seller
The first step is to become an Amazon seller.
If you haven’t registered on the ecommerce platform yet, this is easy to do and only takes a few minutes.
You can do this by visiting the Amazon Services website and signing up for a Professional Seller account.
You’ll need the following things to be an Amazon seller:
- business email address
- a phone number
- a government ID
- a credit card
- tax information
- a bank account
While you’re at it, consider joining the Amazon Brand Registry, which gives Amazon sellers a variety of tools to help them offer the best customer experience possible.
Second Step: Fulfill The Criteria For Amazon Renewed
To qualify as an Amazon Renewed seller, you need to meet the following requirements:
- Invoices showing a minimum total value of $50,000 in refurbished purchases that qualify in the 90 days prior to the application date.
- An ODR of 0.8 percent or less in the past 90 days if you are a current Amazon seller.
- At least 8 images of a sample unit for packaging and product review if you would like to list factory refurbished products that do not have a manufacturer warranty.
- Invoices dated within the last 90 days totalling $2.5 million in Apple refurbished items for approval to add listings in the Apple brand under Consumer Electronics.
The 90 day Amazon Renewed Guarantee covers all of your qualifying refurbished purchases, and your company is fully accountable for any claims made under the guarantee.
Third Step: Apply For Amazon Renewed
Once you’ve fulfilled the requirements to be an Amazon Renewed seller, you can apply online through the Amazon Renewed Program website or by emailing [email protected] with the required documentation.
Final Step: Ready To Sell
Once you’ve been approved, it’s time to start listing your products on Amazon Renewed. Be sure to include high-quality product photos and detailed descriptions so that customers know exactly what they’re getting.
And that’s it! You’re now a part of the Amazon Renewed program. With a little effort, you can start selling refurbished goods and take advantage of the many benefits that come with it.
Benefits Of Amazon Renewed
Every buyer wants to get a great product at a great price.
And Amazon Renewed helps you do just that – get a like-new product at a fraction of the price of buying it as brand new.
Here are some benefits that a shopper gets from buying Amazon Renewed items:
- They’re cheaper than brand new items: This one is a no-brainer. Renewed items are typically much cheaper than their brand new counterparts. They can be a great way to get your hands on some pretty sweet deals.
- They often come with a warranty: When you buy a Renewed item on Amazon, it often comes with a warranty from the seller. This means that if anything goes wrong with the item, you’re covered by the Amazon Renewed return policy.
- They’re just as good as new: Just because an item is Renewed doesn’t mean it’s used or damaged. In fact, many Renewed items are just as good as new. They may have been returned by a customer or simply had the packaging opened, but they’re still in great condition..
- They are Amazon inspected: All Renewed items are professionally inspected and tested by Amazon-qualified suppliers to ensure that they are in good working condition and meet all Amazon standards.
What about the seller?
Amazon sellers are not left behind in this deal.
When they sell Renewed items, they get the following benefits:
- A higher chance of a sale: Let’s face it – buying a used item can be a little bit daunting for some people. But when you know that the item is Renewed and comes with a warranty, you won’t have second thoughts on buying the item. This makes it easier for sellers to find potential buyers for items that might otherwise not be sold.
- Become part of a program that is exclusive: Not just anyone can sell Renewed items. Sellers must apply to join the program and go through a screening process. This makes selling Renewed items an exclusive opportunity that not many sellers have.
- Earn the trust of buyers: When a buyer sees that you’re selling Renewed items, they know that you’re a trusted seller who is committed to offering great products at a bargain price. They also know that Amazon has reviewed your seller profile. This can go a long way in building relationships with customers and making sales.
Disadvantages Of Amazon Renewed
Although sellers get a number of benefits from Amazon Renewed, there are also some disadvantages that sellers should be aware of.
One disadvantage is that Amazon Renewed only accepts certain types of products and product categories.
This means that some sellers may not be able to sell their products through Amazon Renewed if they do not meet the criteria.
Another disadvantage is that renewed items may face more customer returns than other Amazon products.
This means that sellers may have to deal with more returns and refunds, which can eat into their profits.
Some customers may miss the ‘Renewed’ badge or not know what it means.
They may think they are buying a new product, only to be disappointed when they realize it is not brand-new.
That’s why writing product descriptions are important for a successful Amazon business.
But running a business is already difficult on its own.
Hiring a skilled Amazon copywriter will help ensure your product listings are well-written and optimized, while you handle the other aspects of your business.
Finally, an Amazon Renewed seller competes with other used and refurbished product sellers on Amazon.
This means that sellers need to be competitive on price and offer a good product in order to stand out from the competition.
This may result in very low pricing that brings in low profit.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Save Money With Amazon Renewed?
Yes, you can! Amazon Renewed typically offers significant discounts on like-new products that are certified to work and look like new. These items are checked to ensure that they are in Amazon like-new conditions.
What Type Of Items Are Available On Amazon Renewed?
Amazon Renewed has items across different categories, including smartphones, tablets, cameras, power tools, TVs, home and kitchen appliances, laptops, smartwatches, and more.
Is Amazon Renewed Reliable?
Yes, Amazon Renewed is reliable. All products sold on Amazon Renewed come with a minimum 90-day warranty, and they also undergo rigorous inspection and testing before being put up for sale.
Why Should You Buy Refurbished Products?
Refurbished products are a great way to save money on like-new products. If you are looking for a deal on top-brand electronics, then buying refurbished is a great option. Plus, you can be confident knowing that all Amazon refurbished products come with a minimum 90-day warranty.
What Does Certified Refurbished Mean On Amazon?
Certified Refurbished products on Amazon are thoroughly examined, tested, and cleaned by the manufacturer or an approved vendor. They include all original accessories and have a minimum 90-day warranty.
Does Amazon Renewed Come With Manufacturer Warranty?
No, not all products sold on the Renewed section come with a manufacturer warranty. However, all products come with a minimum 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
So what does Amazon Renewed mean?
Amazon Renewed is a program that offers discounts on like-new products that are certified to work and look like new.
All products sold on Amazon Renewed come with a minimum 90-day warranty, making it a great option for budget-conscious shoppers.
For Amazon sellers, the Amazon Renewed program is a great way to sell returned products at a discounted price so there’s still a chance to make money out of such products.
And whether you are selling brand new, refurbished, or renewed products on Amazon, be sure to adhere to the guidelines set forth by the ecommerce platform.
Check out my other blog post on Amazon listing optimization so you know how to make your listings stand out from competition