Have you recently opened an Etsy shop? Do you want to start your own online store on Etsy but don’t know how to create a listing on Etsy?
You’re in the right place!
I created this guide to teach you everything you need to know about adding listings to your Etsy store. I’ll also provide information on adding images and product descriptions. I’ll also cover how to set prices and shipping fees.
Table of Contents
Etsy is an online marketplace where store owners can sell craft supplies, party supplies, and vintage and handmade items.
It’s a fantastic platform for artists, crafters, and small business owners to reach a global audience of potential customers. Etsy is also one of the most popular ecommerce platforms in the world.
Understanding how Etsy’s marketplace works and what shoppers look for is essential if you want to open an online store on the platform.
Etsy sellers like you only need to follow simple steps to create beautiful and professional listings.
As a new seller on Etsy, you must add listings before you can start selling. It only takes a few minutes, so don’t worry.
Note that you can only create a listing once you register as an Etsy seller.
If you haven’t already, sign up for an Etsy seller account.
You can create your first listing once you log into your Etsy account.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Select Shop Manager on Etsy.com. Tap More if you’re on the Sell on Etsy app.
- Select Listings. New Etsy sellers must select Your Shop.
- Click Add a listing to add a listing. Tap the plus (+) if you’re on the Sell on Etsy app.
To add a listing, click. Tap the + (plus) icon if you are on the Sell on Etsy app.
You can begin building out your listing by following the steps below:
Click Add a photo to add images to your Etsy store listing.
You can upload image files from your computer and add several photos simultaneously.
Select any image and drag it to the left or right to rearrange your photos.
Follow these guidelines when adding photos to your Etsy listing.
You can only upload images in JPG, PNG, and GIF formats. Etsy does not support transparent PNG or animated GIF files.
Etsy recommends a size of 2000 pixels for the shortest side of the image, and the image should have a resolution of 72 pixels per inch (PPI).
The maximum file size for listing images is 1 MB. Files larger than 1 MB may not upload correctly.
Etsy recommends an image size of 500 x 500 pixels for your shop icon.
Like shop icons, Etsy recommends an image size of 500 x 500 pixels for profile photos. Shoppers will see your profile photo next to your shop name.
Etsy advises an image size of 170 x 100 pixels for team logos.
Etsy recommends an image size of 760 x 100 pixels.
The platform’s minimum image size for mini shop banners is 1,200 x 160 pixels. However, Etsy recommends an image size of 1,600 x 213 pixels.
The platform’s minimum size for big shop banners is 1,200 x 300 pixels. However, Etsy recommends an image size of 1,600 x 400 pixels.
Etsy recommends an image size of 1,200 x 300 pixels for carousel banners.
Etsy recommends different image sizes for collage banners depending on the number of photos in the collage.
- A collage with two images should be 600 x 300 pixels.
- A collage with three images should be 400 x 300 pixels.
- A collage with four images should be 300 x 300 pixels.
You also need to add a thumbnail image for each item.
The thumbnail image is the first thing potential customers will see when they come across one of your listings. Ensure you choose a clear, eye-catching photo.
Follow these best practices for adding thumbnail images.
Here are some best practices to follow when adding thumbnail images:
- Crop your thumbnail image using Etsy’s photo cropping tool to ensure proper framing. Your thumbnail image may look weird and uneven if you don’t use Etsy’s cropping tool.
- Take photos of your items farther away than you think is right. Doing so allows you to crop parts of the image without removing any item details.
- Use the landscape orientation for images. Avoid uploading square photos.
- Use the 4:3 aspect ratio when taking and uploading photos.
Etsy sellers can also add one video per listing to help shoppers understand their products better.
You can click Add a video on the Edit Listing page if you want to add a video to any listing.
Click Choose to upload your video.
Your video should have a minimum resolution of 1080 pixels and can be 5 to 15 seconds long.
Listing details describe your items and include keywords or search terms that shoppers enter on the Etsy search bar to find your listings.
The details you add to your listings help shoppers filter results to find the item that best matches their needs.
The first thing you need to add to your listing is the Listing Title.
Here are the requirements for Etsy listing titles.
- A title can have a maximum of 140 characters.
- You can only use these symbols once in a title: (%, :, and &).
- You cannot use the following characters: ($, ^, and `)
- You can’t have more than three words in all capital letters in your titles. Etsy recommends capitalizing only the first letter of each word in the title and writing the rest of the word in lowercase letters.
Follow these best practices when writing listing titles.
- Use descriptive and keyword-rich titles.
Including keywords in your titles helps shoppers find your listing in searches.
- Include essential details in your title.
Including details like the item’s material and color can help buyers see your product. For example, an excellent title for a pair of earrings would be Silver Stud Earrings with Cubic Zirconia.
- Be concise and straightforward.
Avoid writing lengthy titles that can make items difficult for shoppers to understand.
- Use proper grammar and punctuation.
Doing so makes your titles easier to read.
The purpose of listing descriptions is to provide Etsy shoppers with more information about your items.
Even though your shop name may already give shoppers an idea of what you’re selling, they still want to read detailed listing descriptions to make informed purchases.
When adding descriptions, you’ll need to choose between two item types: 1) physical or 2) digital.
Follow these tips to create the best possible listing descriptions.
- Start with the most critical information.
Most shoppers don’t bother reading the full description, so putting essential features at the top is crucial. Doing so also helps with search engine optimization (SEO) because Etsy’s algorithm prioritizes the first 300 characters of a listing.
- Use bullet points and short paragraphs.
Breaking up your text makes it easier for buyers to read and helps you communicate your message more effectively. Using bullet points also highlights critical product information.
- Include as many relevant keywords as possible.
Include keywords in your description to help people find your listing in searches. Use a keyword research tool to find the best possible keywords for your online business on Etsy.
- Be consistent with your brand voice.
Use your listing description as an opportunity to connect with people and show them your unique brand voice. Be consistent with the language you use throughout your shop.
- Proofread your descriptions.
Check for typos, grammatical errors, and erroneous information. Doing so allows you to maintain a professional image for your shop.
You can add optional details like tags, a section for shoppers to customize items (custom orders), and a production partner.
A production partner is any individual or business that assists in physically producing goods based on your original designs but isn’t a part of your Etsy shop. Your employees and vendors you source finished goods from for reselling are not production partners.
You can also add attributes to your listings.
Attributes give buyers a clear picture of your item by describing your products with specific, in-depth listing attributes. They also make it easier for buyers to find your products in search results.
You must also add your item’s price, available quantity, and variations (if applicable). The product price will appear in the currency you chose when you opened your shop. You can also apply shop tax rates to your items.
You can add SKUs, variations, and personalization options. Note that you cannot offer variations when listing a digital item.
Here’s how to add variations to your listings.
1 – Click any listing on your Listings page.
2 – Choose one or more options from the Category drop-down menu.
3 – You’ll see a list of relevant attributes. Select the variations you want to include (dimension, color, size, etc.).
4 – Click Add variations in the Variations section after scrolling down.
5 – Choose the type of variation you offer by clicking Choose variation type.
6 – Check the box next to the option under your variation to change the SKUs, quantity, or price.
7 – Select Save.
The variations you create will appear under Variations.
The next step is to set up your shipping options. You’ll need to create a shipping profile to set up shipping options.
Here’s how to create shipping profiles.
- Select Shop Manager on Etsy’s homepage.
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Shipping settings.
- Select Shipping profiles.
- Complete the necessary shipping information. Here’s where you can also set different international and domestic handling fees.
- You can include shipping upgrades if you manually input fixed costs.
- Include the size and weight of the item if you’re adding calculated shipping.
- Click Save.
Follow these steps to set up shipping for new items.
- Choose an existing profile from the list under Shipping options, or click Enter custom shipping options to configure shipping preferences unique to the listing.
- Select I’ll enter fixed prices manually under Shipping prices.
- Fill out the fields for the origin country, postal code, and processing time.
You can specify which nations you’ll ship to in the Standard shipping section (domestic shipping is necessary by default). You can generate a flat-rate shipping fee for any location using Everywhere Else.
Choose Everywhere else if you intend to ship to all countries without exception. Alternatively, you can choose the Add another location option to list specific countries for shipping items.
Some Etsy shoppers only look at items sellers can ship to their country, so ensure your rates reflect every country you ship items to. Doing so guarantees your listings appear in international searches.
You can save time adding shipping prices when you:
- Create different shipping profiles.
- Offer free shipping or discounted rates to customers who purchase several items.
- Include shipping upgrades that suit your shop’s needs.
Your listing will be automatically added to your Etsy Ads campaign if you create a listing from the Sell on Etsy app. Go to your Advertising page to select and delete any listing from your Etsy Ads campaign.
Save your listing by clicking Save as Draft or Publish.
Clicking Preview allows you to see how potential buyers will see your listing. Note that variations will be visible after publishing the listing.
Click Save as Draft to access your listing later. You must enter a category, a quantity, a price, shipping costs, and a listing title to be able to save a listing as a draft.
You can see your listing draft under Drafts on your Listings page. You can create unlimited drafts that never expire.
Start selling on Etsy by clicking Publish on completed listings. It takes 24 hours for listings to appear on Etsy. Buyers will only be able to see your Etsy listings and purchase items from your shop after 24 hours have passed.
Note that Etsy charges a listing fee of 20 cents per listing and that Etsy listings expire every four months. You can choose to renew them automatically or manually.
If you choose the Automatic Renewal option for a listing, Etsy will automatically renew the listing once it expires. Etsy will automatically charge you and takes the money out of your Etsy Payments account.
There’s also another payment method. If there are no funds in your Etsy Payments account to cover listing fees, Etsy takes the listing fees (or any other Etsy transaction fee) out of any credit and debit cards you have on file.
Custom listings allow customers to personalize their Etsy orders. This feature lets customers communicate the customizations they want for your item.
Here’s how to enable personalization.
- Log into Etsy.com and select Shop Manager.
- Choose Listings.
- Select the listing you want to customize.
- Toggle On for personalization under Inventory and pricing.
- Add text next to Guidelines for buyers to explain what information the customer should include when personalizing an item.
- Select Optional if personalization is not necessary.
- Select Publish.
Here’s how to allow personalization for multiple listings.
- Log in to Etsy.com and select Shop Manager.
- Choose Listings.
- Check the appropriate boxes for the listings you want to personalize.
- Select Editing options.
- Select Edit personalization.
- Toggle to turn on personalization.
- Add text next to “Guidelines for buyers” to explain what information the customer should include.
- S elect Optional if personalization is not necessary.
- Click Apply.
Yes! You can create bulk listings on Etsy. You can create one listing, then copy it to create several similar listings quickly.
When you copy a listing, you create a new listing that already includes the details of the duplicated listing.
You can sell handmade goods, vintage items, and craft supplies on Etsy. You can also sell digital products, such as printable art and templates.
If you’re unsure whether you can sell a specific item on Etsy, review Etsy’s Prohibited Items Policy.
A section is the arrangement of items in your Etsy shop.
A drop-down menu lets you choose which section to display your item.
You can arrange products into specific groups that customers can explore using shop sections.
Sections allow you to group listings according to size, type, or any other detail customers use to search for your products.
Links to your sections are visible in the left sidebar of your store.
An Etsy shop tag is a label you can give to your items. Each listing can have up to 13 tags, and each tag can be up to 20 characters long.
Etsy shop tags differ from keywords. These tags function like hashtags on Instagram—they help shoppers find items when browsing on Etsy.
You’ll need to set a price for each item you list on Etsy. When creating your listing, you’ll see a “Price” field where you can input the item’s selling price.
Consider Etsy fees like the listing fee, transaction fee, and any payment processing fee when determining an item’s price.
Hopefully, you find my article helpful in teaching how to add listings to your Etsy shop. Remember to take high-quality photos of your products, write clear and concise descriptions, and set competitive prices. You will also need to set up your shop policies and shipping costs.
Don’t hesitate to start selling on Etsy now that you know the basics of creating listings. Drive traffic to your store and boost profits by learning how to promote your Etsy shop.