So, you want to start a small business on one of the eCommerce platforms but want to avoid investing in stocking up inventory or managing it? Print-on-Demand (POD) business model might be the exact thing you’re looking for.
This guide will explain everything about starting an Etsy Print on Demand business. Let’s begin with understanding why you should choose Etsy from all the other eCommerce platforms.
Table of Contents
Etsy is the perfect platform for all small business owners to find their target clientele and has the potential to develop a side gig into a full-blown brand.
Let’s understand what Etsy has to offer its users.
- Large Existing Audience
- Affordable Fees For Beginners
You can open a store on Etsy at no cost. Additionally, they provide an ocean of resources and tools to grow your business. Listing an item incurs a nominal fee of $0.20, with other charges to consider.
However, unlike competing eCommerce platforms, there are no ongoing service costs to maintain your store’s presence here.
- It’s Easy-to-Use
Etsy makes it easy for merchants to open up an online storefront and start selling online. To help the suppliers get going, they lay out a detailed guide.
Now that you know what Etsy offers, you must be looking for a guide on how to sell on Etsy. Let’s understand how you can set up a POD business on Etsy marketplace.
Print-on-Demand (POD) business model, through services like Printify, allows entrepreneurs to customize white-label items. You can use your graphics on products, such as t-shirts or mugs, and sell them on an as-needed basis.
Dropshipping, where the same platform handles product storage and delivery, works with POD services to create a profitable company without investing in or managing an inventory.
To open an Etsy shop, here’s a concise list of steps you need to follow:
- Sign up on the Etsy seller page with your email address.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Select the country in which you wish to operate the business.
- Decide on the currency you’ll accept payment in (remember that currency conversion fees are applicable).
- Specify if it’s a part-time or a full-time business.
- Name your Etsy shop – read through our guide to choose the best Etsy shop name.
Initially, you’ll need access to a desktop web browser to launch your store. Afterward, with an active store on Etsy, you may use the Sell on Etsy app to run it.
Selecting a POD partner that is a good match for your online store is vital in launching a print-on-demand business.
However, with so many services offering the POD model, how can you decide which one is best?
Here’s a list of what you need to consider:
- Fits your budget
- Provides variety in products
- Quick deliveries
- Integrates with Etsy easily
With such considerations, choose a partner like Printify, one of the few drop shippers approved by Etsy. Printify is reputable in the POD world and has an easy Etsy integration, as well as over 800 products in their catalog.
Connecting your Etsy to Printify is simple. All you have to do is log in to your Printify account and follow the steps below:
- Choose “add new store” under “Manage my stores.”
- Next, choose Connect underneath the Etsy icon.
- The integration will continue when you click Allow access.
- Ensure you’re logged into the same Etsy account you wish to link to Printify by verifying the email address.
Viola! You can start publishing listings and manage orders from Printify directly on your Etsy store. Printify will even apply product shipping rates automatically for you.
Designing and creating your products with the POD platform is easy. You can choose from various white-label items and customize them to see on Etsy.
For example, on Printify, go through the vast catalog of 800+ items and pick what you want to sell.
Keep your intended market in mind while making product selections.
For instance, say you want to reach people concerned about animal welfare and the environment.
Encourage them to zero down on waste production and offer customized eco-friendly products, such as reusable water bottles or cups.
With college students, on the other hand, more budget-friendly items could be more appropriate. You can also integrate funky graphics or trendy quotes in the design to pull them to your products.
With Printify, you can easily design your products even when you don’t have graphic design expertise. How?
- Use the Shutterstock integration for use-ready, editable designs for products.
- Use Printify’s free graphics library.
- Use the mockup generator for text-based prints.
- Go on freelance platforms like fiver, Upwork, or dribble, and hire a designing expert.
Creating a title for your product listing is the first step in the process.
If you want Etsy buyers to perceive your product to be worthwhile, you must perfect every part.
Follow the steps in this checklist as a guide.
- Develop a complete product description that appeals to your intended market by including the following:
- an engaging introduction
- detailed information on the product’s characteristics
- a conversational tone
- Upload high-resolution images of your items. Make sure they fit the following requirements:
- Vibrant and well-focused
- Showcase the product from different angles
- Make its intended purpose
- To increase the chances of a potential Etsy customer discovering your listing, categorize and tag your products. Using relevant tags can increase your shop’s visibility and traffic on Etsy.
Promoting your shop and listings is essential if you want to make money on Etsy. You can guarantee a steady stream of consumers for your Etsy shop if you follow these five steps:
- Use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tactics to get visibility on Etsy.
- Take advantage of Etsy ads.
- Leverage social media to promote your products and the store.
- Stay up-to-date with marketing trends.
- Keep an eye on the Etsy analytics tracker and monitor your performance.
Read further on How to Promote an Etsy Shop with the Top 9+ Marketing Strategies that can help you boost your revenue.
Starting a side business is a good idea for anyone. However, establishing a successful one with little money is a feat in and of itself.
Print-on-Demand business model on Etsy might help you make the most of this possibility.
Use this guide to get started with a POD business on Etsy.
However, remember that every successful business requires a solid marketing plan. Thinking far ahead is always important in business, even if you’re starting.
Focus on growing your company and cultivating long-term relationships while your print-on-demand service provider takes care of the manufacturing and shipping work.